The Department of Foreign Languages provides opportunities for authentic experiences with other cultures which enable students to develop linguistic and cultural proficiencies. The Department contributes significantly to the College's mission to facilitate an understanding of human interaction across world cultures and time, enhance awareness of global perspectives, and foster in our students, the knowledge, skills and versatility needed to succeed personally, academically and professionally in an ever-changing society.
The Department fulfills its mission by:
- Preparing foreign language teachers who are linguistically and culturally proficient and who demonstrate competence in the use of current approaches to teaching foreign languages, including the use of multimedia technologies.
- Preparing students for further study or for professional careers that require linguistic and cultural competence.
- Identifying and responding to community and professional needs in the area of language and culture.
- Facilitating study abroad and internship opportunities, as well as service learning experiences to enhance the authenticity of linguistic and cultural education.
- Providing instruction in less commonly taught foreign languages.
- Supporting the foreign language requirements of other departments and the General Education program.
- Contributing to the personal enrichment of students by offering courses at all levels.